Saturday, August 7, 2010

Example Readiness to Execute: "Great Beginnings"

When I talked about the importance of a good closing to your session, I mentioned that this paved the way for the learner to go out and execute the learned behaviors, concepts and practices. The example I have chosen to share is one I used to close new hire training sessions. I call it "Great Beginnings."

After a multi-day session, with of lots of great information, where they have met many talented and key individuals within the company, you need to send the new salesperson off with the belief that they have joined a great company and will be a key part of great team and do great things in the future.

This the closing I give them. I start by giving them some well known quotes from literature and ask them to identify the author and the work. For example:

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times." Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities.

"Happy families are all alike. Each unhappy family is unhappy it's own way." Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina.

"Call me Ishmael." Herman Melville, Moby Dick.

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary" Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven.

"Whose woods are these? I think I know. His house is in the village though." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Eve.

Then after guessing them correctly I ask them: What do all these quotes have in common? Invariably one or two of them figure out that they are all opening lines.

I then say; yes but more than just opening lines, they are all "great beginnings". This week you had your "great beginning" with us. If you think about those quotes they were all great beginnings to even greater stories. Let us all hope that this week. like these quotes, was for you a great beginning to an even greater story with us! Welcome to you all and good luck!

In the next entry I will talk about a key element in producing effective sales training for a technical product.

No comments:

Post a Comment